Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Try a TRI

I jumped. I am now officially a triathlete. Last Saturday I did my first triathlon. It was a mini sprint, meaning very short - good for me due to my lack of swimming ability! haha. Total distance was 3 mile run, 13 mile bike and 250 meter swim. It was a lot of fun. My friend Eli, who talked me into doing it, her husband and I did the race. We went up to Weber State University for a 9:00 a.m. start. It was cold - around 30 degrees, but promising to be a nice day overall, at about 50 or so. The tri was done backward, presumably because of the short swim (which was in the pool), and the cold temps. The run started off with two laps around the track then outside for a good climb up a hill, around the event center and back to the bikes. The bike course was a 3 lap course, with a wicked long, hard climb on the backside. Then, on to the pool for 5 quick laps. I did well, and really enjoyed myself - 13th out of 39 women and third in the 40 - 49 age group. Here are some pictures, but none of them are of us, as none of us brought a camera! These will give you a feel for the day, though. What next? A winter tri (run bike ski), then a sprint distance in March, an Olympic lite (with a trail run) in June, and a full Olympic distance in September....