Tuesday, September 9, 2008

So much going on!



First, the pictures are of the Spiral Jetty, an "earth art" piece found north of SLC, in the Great Salt Lake:
Robert Smithson's monumental earthwork Spiral Jetty (1970) is located on the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Using black basalt rocks and earth from the site, the artist created a coil 1500 feet long and 15 feet wide that stretches out counterclockwise into the translucent red water. Spiral Jetty was acquired by Dia Art Foundation as a gift from the Estate of the artist in 1999.
Kathy and I took a trip out there a couple of weekends ago for kicks, she hadnt seen it before and I love to visit, it is so unreal and has great energy. There is never any people there and looks different every time depending on the water level, the amount of salt crystals on the rocks, etc.

So what else is new? I quit my job. YIKES. What am I doing? Well, it's a long story involving a change in job description and philosophical differences in how to best teach special ed kids, not to mention the total jerk that the new director is. So, what is the new job? I'll be a counselor for the Salt Lake School District. I"ll be one of 4 itinerant counselors hired specifically to work in the most high risk Title 1 schools doing direct counseling with elementary students. This will be actual counseling work, one on one and small groups. The idea is to try to help these students deal with whatever is going on in their lives that may be interfering with their ability to work well in school. I'll also be helping the families find resources in the community and things like that. Title 1 schools are schools with 80-90% poverty. There are many immigrants and refugee families here as well. I think the job will be very interesting and will be a great learning experience! It is extremely difficult to leave Entheos as I have really enjoyed my job there, of course with only 3 days left, I am naturally hoping I made the right decsion! :-)

Rich and I have been doing a ton of riding lately. Unfortunately, I have no pictures. Rich rode with some guys last weekend and did 8 hours of riding and 13,000 feet of climbing!! That is so insane to me! I did a paltry 2 hours and 45 minutes and 2,700 feet of climbing, haha. :-) We have both signed on for 24 hours of Moab mountain bike race. More on that later, it's in October.

My friend Bea is now a grandma!! The first of us crazy gals to breech that hurdle, I guess the only one that it's even possible for! haha! And my friend Tammy's little girl, Annika, is getting cuter and cuter as the weeks go by.

Other than that, we're livin' life, havin' a good time and hangin' loose. Hope all is well with you out there.

3 comments:

Laura said...

WOW! A new job, a friend that's a grandma, and the upcoming 24 hrs. of Moab! Lots of big news!!! Enjoy being a counselor. It's very challenging and occasionally rewarding.

Rich said...

Cant wait for the "occasionally rewarding" part!! :-)

Mr.DEMATA,SE,MM said...

wow how lucky y r my friend can travelled n snapped shot some beautiful things.....good luck