Tuesday, June 9, 2009

False Start...


So saturday was to be the first race of the season. A half-ironman distance race in ID called Vikingman. Driving there Friday night we ran into VERY windy conditions (30+mph) and driving rain at times. By the end of Dinner it had stopped raining, though was still pretty Chilly. Went to bed after getting the bike all ready, clothes laid out and a review everything was working.

4:30am Saturday am, I wake up to the alarm, trying to deny to myself I am actually thinking about getting up and racing, but I actually do. I set two Eggo blueberry waffles in the toaster, open the JIF peanut butter and Honey jar ( a new find which kicks ass!!) I have had it everyday for breakfast thus far since then!! Anyway, then I open the door....... RAINING, 48 deg. and wind blowing. @$**%^$ $#%*(%$(....... Okay, do I race or go to bed? The SLC weather report said HI 65/Low 50, 20% showers in PM. So, for my warm clothes I packed a long sleeve Under armor cool gear shirt and arm warmers. No rain jacket, no wind breaker, no down Everest Suit!! After alot of language I don't think the Burley people would approve of, I decide to bag the race. Since my weight is now 162 and I was standing outside in denium pants, two shirts, socks, all DRY and SHIVERING, I did not think I would get more than 1-2 miles on a flat bike course. Not to mention the wet roads and Coeur d' Alene in 2 weeks. So we left Burly after less than 12 hours and came home to a gorgous day. I went to the airport to get a workout in, aeo helmet, disc wheel the whole works. Just happened to be the state TT race that time. Got permission to just ride on the road, I think in the middle of the Cat IV race. Road 40 miles, then ran 14 at race pace with good sensations in the legs!! Kept the run under 8:00/mile pace and the bike average at 22.5 (200W strict!). Hard to do when all these guys are riding hard around you, but I kept to the plan. So, the rocket ship is ready, the run legs are coming!! Now the mental games begin.....

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Awh man! That stinks so bad. I dont think mother nature is a cyclist. If its any consolation, we did Little Red on Sat and got caught in a torrential downpour at mile 43, with 60 miles to go.