Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mid Mountain Marathon


"You cant muscle through a five hour run; you have to relax into it, like easing your body into a hot bath, until it no longer resists the shock and begins to enjoy it."

"Dont fight the trail, take what it gives you. If you have a choice between one step or two between rocks, take three."

"When you run on the earth and run with the earth, you can run forever."


"Instead of cringing from fatigue, you embrace it. You refuse to let it go. You get to know it so well, you're not afraid of it anymore. Look forward to the Beast showing up and show it who's boss."

(~ Sage advice from ultrarunners in Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.)

No, 26.2 is not ultra-running by industry standards, but for me it is. I had been reading this book prior to the Mid Mountain Marathon and connected deeply to these statements, and I ran with them, making all the difference.

The day was perfect. A cool 45 - 50 degrees at the race start, promising to shape up to mid 70's. My stomach was churning with nerves and blueberry waffles with peanut butter and maple syrup as I looked around at the nearly 200 racers - most looking relaxed and seasoned - I wondered if any of them felt the same level of anxiety I did. I was antsy, ready to go so my nerves would calm, I knew once I started running I would settle in and chill.

The race finally started with a loop around the Deer Valley buildings to spread people out and then headed out onto the trail. The trail was absolutely beautiful. I have ridden parts of it but never in it's entirety - this was a treat. The trail was mostly rolling, gentle ups and downs, through gorgeous aspen and pine forests, alternating along the way. The rich, fragrant smell of the pine was intoxicating. The trail itself was generally rugged, especially through Iron Mountain with sections of smooth flat dirt - all singletrack. Many a runner finished with bloodstained arms, legs and faces. I, myself, had one crash, but it was gentle - and no blood! The first 15 miles of the trail went by in a snap - I couldnt believe when I saw a sign at an aide station telling me 14.8 miles done - could that be possible? I felt so good and the time just flew by. I was running like the Tarahumara Indians - with joy in my heart and a smile on my face... and the running felt so easy.

At mile 16 I ran into Rich. He had hiked in a couple of miles to see me and take some pictures. From there he ran with me to the cut off point at mile 18 - Red Pine Lodge. I was hoping to make the cut off, and did so easily - an hour and a quarter ahead of deadline. I arrived there in 3:43. From Red Pine Lodge, the trail got more difficult. It was about a two mile "climb" from there and then, I was told, a six mile descent into the Canyons. And indeed it was, downhill, until about mile 23 where it began to climb back up for about a mile, somewhere around where Ambush connected with Holly's, this was tough and I walk/ran most of that section (with probably more walking!). The downhill was a blessing and a curse. My hips and feet were just killing me but the gentle gravitational pull down toward the finish was awesome, even provoking giggles and "airplane arms" around the switchbacks. Finally, I hear the noise from the finish and am routed around the village to the finishing line. Perfect!

My goals for the day were to finish in under six hours, finish unbloodied, and to have fun. I accomplished all three, finishing in 5:32 (unofficial time, by my watch) with a smile on my face.

No comments: