Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ironman wrap-up



Number 5 is in the books!! Time to mtn bike!!

I finished the Couer D'Alene ironman in 10:42:20ish time frame. That was my best time on that course, by about 9 minutes and 2nd best of all, except for the Martha's Vinyard race in 1994, though this is a harder one (and I'm not 27 anymore!). Anyway, I was happy with my day, mostly felt good, just didn't have anything but first gear on the first 13 miles of the run. Suprisingly, I felt better as the run went along and I seemed to find 2nd and even 3rd gear along the way!! Still, I only ran a 4:04 marathon, thus coming 20-some minutes too late for an ironman slot. Maybe, I'll learn to run some day. Actually, considering everything, I am happy with how it went. I don't remember feeling that good since my first race!! No hip pain, only a little stomach pains, and the usual leg soreness about mile 23.


The swim went well, despite everyones fretting about the water (59.5 F). Was PERFECT!! No fat lips this year, but a little slower than prior years (1:06 compared to 1:03). I purposely swam less this year (88,000yds vs. 133,000) because it is a waste of time (20 less hours in the pool, only lose 3 minutes!!).

The bike went well, again. I rode almost the same exact time as prior years, with a little more climbing (6900' in 112 miles). Was able to average 21mph at avg HR of only 150bpm, which is exactly what I wanted to do. The run, well it is the run..... I felt ok, but just could not get the legs to go faster. I may have been a little calorie deficient after the bike (took in 1500-2000 cal, but burned 8000!), and left my gel flask on the bike. But after getting some gels in around mile 5, 9 i started to feel better. Got my 2nd flask at mile 14 and slowly kept using it and noticed I could run faster (key letters her are - er!!). I actually passed some people on the second lap that had left me behind earlier. That never happens to me. Usually I just keep going backwards!!!


Anyway, I finished 157th out of 1900 finishers (2300 started) and 27th in the 40-44 age group out of 379 starters (i think 323 finished). These are some tough old bastards!! I was the first Utah finisher (yippie). Time for a rest and some good eating. Right now I can fit through the cracks in the door, I'm so skinny!! After a week or so, time for some Mountain biking!! Maybe hang up the swimming for another year and go find a running coach!!








1 comment:

Laura said...

Congratulations!! Those stats are impressive, even for an old fart! LOL!