Sunday, July 6, 2008

Friggen' Genius'


SO here is my commercial plug for one of the best bike parts in existence!! Coolest anyway. I recently had a birthday and for my birthday, I told my lovely wife that I wanted a Surly tugnut. You might be saying.." What the #*&? is a tugnut?" Well as mentioned above it may be the best part that has been thought out. And I mean thought out!! I have been riding a Surly karate Monkey singlespeed for the past year. When I have been down in Moab, it has occasionally had a dreaded axle slip in the dropout when i mash on the pedals to go up a hill. Then I usually go straight to the ground, as my feet don't come out that fast and I acquaint myself with the Red Rock... not fun! So I started looking for a solution, that did not involve ugly, impractical, 1930's technology lugnuts on the rim. Just couldn't do that to the I9 wheelset!! Well this is what I found. It might be hard to see, but essentially it is a stop that you tension along the horizontal dropout so the wheel cannot slide forward. It goes thru the skewer and locks it down. I can atest to it's stength as I rode with Ian yesterday in American Fork canyon and did a bunch of climbing, some pretty good up, that made my cadence fairly slow (30-40 rpms) while standing levering the handle bars in a 42x22 gear. Yes it was a little big for the climbs, but live and learn. This will give me the strength workout I need now that Ironman is over!! Anyway, not only is the new device efficient at what it does, but this is where the Genius part comes in. I think the folks at Surly
deserve a medal for the cool factor!! Check out the real purpose of the flames!! Never left in the Lurch!!!!!!!!

Genius!!
rk

No comments: