Thursday, July 31, 2008

Michigan Part 2


MOUNTAIN BIKING!!! One of the things I really wanted to do while in MI was visit some of my old mountain biking haunts. The trails in MI are so much fun and so easy compared to out here, I really wanted to just get out and play. So... I drove out with my bike and Rich's on top of my car and we hit the trails while there. First, I met up with Jody and April at Pontiac Lake, before Rich got there. Jody and I did a loop before April arrived and then did a second one with her. It was so much fun!! I had forgotten what a great trail PL is and I think it must be my favorite trail now. We had a great girl's ride that day, then we all had dinner and spent the night at Jody's with a good glass of wine and lot's of girl talk. Jody and April headed out to work in the morning and I headed to Island Lake to ride by myself before picking up Rich at the airport. Island Lake is a super fun trail that I call the Superhighway of mountain biking. Flat and fast. I did both loops, for a total of about 15 beautiful and fun miles. The pines are my favorite section - Mmmmm, smells so good!! After picking up Rich, we headed up to Petoskey to visit my dad and brother. Up there, we rode the North Country Trail, which we had a blast on. The beginning climb used to seem sooooooo long, but compared to the 4 to 6 miles climbs you get out here, it was over before I knew it. Dont get me wrong, I still had to stop and catch my breath!! From there, it's just a series of whoop-de-dos and giggles. What a great trail. The next day, we went to the VASA singletrack in Traverse City. This trail was made longer then the last time I rode it, to about 12miles and it was sooooooooo flat it was funny. The fun part though, when not cruisin' along at mach speed (haha) was that there were some sections that were soooo tight and twisty it was crackin' me up! Geez, watch your shoulders and hips!! So great to be in Northern MI riding a bike! After we got back downstate, we rode the Poto, what a grunt that trail is in 90 degrees and 95% humidity!! ugh. We also met up with Tammy and Ian (our MI friends who now live in SLC as well - they were visiting at the same time we were!) and Jody and Todd, for another round at Pontiac Lake. Unfortunately, we got rained out of our ride at Highland. Well, that was it. Lots of fun riding in the beautiful MI forests. The amazing trees, the shade and the smell of pine. I loved every minute of it and miss it a lot. This Sunday, back to our 17 mile mountian loop!

No comments: